If you have never tried a squid ink cocktail. And chances are you haven't, then you're missing out on a drinking experience. Squid ink is salty savoury and VERY fishy. Adding a little bit is a interesting way to create a pitch black drink, and add a salty touch to your cocktail without the need of adding actual salt. it also adds a silky texture. Black cocktails have been trendy of recent times, normally done with the addition of activated charcoal. Which works great, and is something I myself will use from time to time. but it adds nothing in terms of flavour to a cocktail. Squid ink you can get easily online, or even from IKEA. I suggest buying some and getting experimental. Just remember, with squid ink, a little goes a long way. Its very easy to over do it and dominate your drink with a fishy taste. 1 spoon is should be the max you're adding. Here's the recipe I came up with using squid ink. try it out and use it as inspiration for your own creation. I would also love to hear what you come up with using squid ink
- 50 ML Kraken
- 25 ML Kaffir Lime Leaf Cordial See Recipe Below
- 30 ML Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tsp Squid Ink
- Top Sea Salt Apple Foam See Recipe Below
- Add all ingredients apart from the foam to a shaker, shake with ice.
- Strain into Nick and Nora glass.
- Top with the see salt foam.
- Garnish with a dehydrated lime wheel and gold spray.
How To Make Kaffir Lime Leaf Cordial
- In a pan, on a hob, Combine 500ML of water with 500Ml of sugar.
- Stir until sugar has dissolved and bring to boil.
- Add 1 cup of Kaffir Lime Leaves.
- Simmer for 10 Minutes.
- Take of the heat and add 1tsp of Citric acid, stir till dissolved then strain into a bottle and refrigerate .
How To Make Sea Salt Apple Foam
- Blend 350ML of apple juice with 1.5 g egg white powder, 1 g Xanthan Gum, and 1 pinch of sea salt.
- Pour into a bowl and use a fish tank pump to create the bubble.
- Use a spoon or julep strainer to add bubbles to the cocktail. Check out this article on creating foams here